Friday, January 8, 2010

Personal Golden Globe Picks

MOVIES

I'm going to skip these categories; I have seen almost none of the movies or actors/actresses nominated, and therefore I hardly feel qualified to judge. I will say that if Christoph Waltz doesn't win in his category (Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture) I think something is wrong. I also feel that the James Cameron will probably win Best Director, although I'd like to see it go to Quentin Tarantino. I'd also like to see him win Best Screenplay, though I'd be happy if District 9 or Up in the Air took that one.

TV


Best Television Series (Drama)
Winner - Dexter
Other nominees - Big Love, Mad Men, House, True Blood

Realistically, this will go to Mad Men, which I started watching at one point but hated every single character; I know that I should probably give it a second chance. House has been declining in terms of quality these past few seasons, and I'm pretty sure True Blood isn't a drama, it's actually a farce. I haven't seen Big Love, but I felt convinced after watching this past season of Dexter that it deserves it this year.

Best Actress in a Television Drama - Of the ladies in this category, I've only seen Anna Paquin in True Blood, so I'm not going to make a call on this because I don't think she deserves a nomination, let alone a win. My prediction, however, is that this will go to Glenn Close for Damages.

Best Actor in a Television Drama
Winner - Michael C. Hall, Dexter
Other nominees - Jon Hamm, Mad Men; Simon Baker, The Mentalist; Bill Paxton, Big Love; Hugh Laurie, House.

Again, I think Dexter really pulled it off this season. Jon Hamm will PROBABLY win again, but whatever. Hugh Laurie is, as always, deserving of the award as well, but this wasn't his best year either. I've seen Simon Baker in a few episodes of the Mentalist, and I don't really know why he was nominated. Again, I haven't seen Big Love.


Best Comedy or Musical

Winner - 30 Rock
Other nominees - Modern Family, Glee, Entourage, The Office

This was a really good year for comedy - in all honesty, I think How I Met Your Mother and Bored to Death probably deserved nominations instead of The Office and Entourage. I'm a huge fan of both Modern Family and Glee, and while the former is a really close second (and I'd love to see Glee win awards), I can't choose anything to win this award besides 30 Rock. Quite simply, it's the best, most consistently humorous comedy on TV.

Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical
Winner - Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Other nominees - Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie; Toni Colette, United States of Tara; Lea Michele, Glee; Courtney Cox, Cougartown

No, I haven't seen Nurse Jackie (Edie Falco had a brief stint on 30 Rock in its' second season, though!) or United States of Tara, but Tina Fey is where it's at. Lea Michele is insanely talented, but she works better on Broadway than TV. Courtney Cox getting a nomination must be some kind of joke, since the character she plays in Cougartown is Monica from Friends after a divorce and a relocation to Florida. Very original. Should be Amy Poehler getting at least a nomination for Parks and Recreation.

Best Actor in a Comedy or Musical
Winner - Matthew Morrison, Glee
Other nominees - Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock; Thomas Jane, Hung; Steve Carell, The Office; David Duchovny, Californication

I feel like I sort of have to justify myself for this one, especially because I already know that Alec Baldwin is going to win. I do feel that the other candidates (Thomas Jane not included, I haven't gotten around to watching Hung yet) are getting boring - Alec Baldwin and Steve Carell have been playing those characters [quite well] for years, and I think Hank Moody is probably eerily similar to what David Duchovny is like in real life. (Sex addict, anyone?)
Matthew Morrison does a fantastic job on Glee, and I'd like to see them mix it up this year, because the man clearly has talent.

I'll wrap this up by saying that, while I have not seen the other nominees in these categories, I hope the Best Supporting Actor and Actress (TV) awards go to John Lithgow (Dexter) and Jane Lynch (Glee) respectively. They were both super.

2 comments:

  1. I've been watching alot of tv lately and seen most of these shows. Dexter vs Mad Men is very hard for me, I agree with you that they'll probably give it to Mad Men but both series are terrific. I do feel like Dexter took a little bit of a slide in Season 3 but Season 4 was very strong and by the end I had loved it. Seasons 1 and 2 however definitely deserved the award, they were masterpiecs and Michael C Hall is consistently incredible. I kinda started out in a similar place like you with Mad Men and I almost feel like you're not particularly supposed to empathize with anyone right away, which is sort of what makes it a hard show to get into. The first 6 episodes in general aren't a very easy watch with the rampant sexism, homophobia, and racism of the time but one of the things I've loved about the series is the way it sort of fleshes everyone out to the point where you can empathize with them by Season 2. You can see sort of where they've come from and how deeply damaged they are by different things in their life and in their past. I also appreciate the way the era's culture rather than be glamorized instead =creates a suffocating atmosphere where characters have to internalize their pains. I agree with True Blood, I definitely find it more to be a comedy than a real drama. I think I'd give the slight edge though to Dexter here, but I expect Mad Men will win.

    As for Best Comedy, here's a category where I've seen all the nominees, I agree that 30 Rock had a great season, I think the first half of Season 3 has some of my favorite moments in the entire series but I do feel like there's a slight dip in quality at the midpoint and I don't think it's as strong overall as Season 1 and 2, that being said even at it's weakest it's still pretty damn funny. Modern Family is one of the new kids on the block and while it's very funny I don't believe it's been so amazing as to give it the award this year. Glee is another new one but like True Blood I sort of feel this show is miscast, it definitely has it's funny moments and is very bright and colorful and has winning musical moments but the stories are pretty dark and there's definitely a fair share of melodrama in the show. I feel it actually probably should've been swapped here with True Blood and it'd make more sense to me. I wanna point out however that of all these new shows the one I feel is most deserving isn't here, which is Community. It's early episodes were quite good and engaging and it just continued to build steam, I love the way that the show doesn't stick to routine weekly relationships and play them over and over again and instead pairs the main cast's storyline with different characters every week which as an end result creates a group relationship that lives up to the shows name. It's also just that the show has probably made me laugh more than anything this year and has even had some rather ambitious gags like Abed's prescence in one episode being similar to a regular tv audience for a comedy series who's able to guess what'll happen because it's become predictable, naturally however the episode's plot ends up not being exactly as it seems. I'd also say I'm disappointed It's Always Sunny in Philidelphia isn't nominated, but I'm not really surprised, it's much too dark and strange for that audience. Entourage had a strong season for what it is but it's still only really decent at best. The Office, well my opinion is probably known by now, I adored the series for what it was in Seasons 2 and 3 but in my opinion it's taken a massive nosedive ever since Season 4 and at this point I actually feel a little sad after watching it, but continue to anyway out of interest in the characters originally created. Niagara may have been the worst episode in the series in my opinion. So I predict 30 Rock will get it and out of the nominees I'd give it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree on Michael C Hall, John Hamm will probably win and he's definitely giving an great performance but Michael C Hall's Dexter is one of the best tv characters of the 00s and he's long overdo for an award.

    Anna Paquin is alright at what she does but I've never found myself terribly impressed. I would give it to January Jones cause her performance in my opinion is honestly even stronger than John Hamm's and I feel her and Elizabeth Moss are really the ones making the show what it is for me now and Season 3 was her best work by far. I mmay be more than a little biased however due to the fact that she's ridiculously hot. I haven't seen any of the other nominees but i too am guessing Glenn Close will win.

    I definitely agree with you on Tina Fey, not even a contest to me.

    On the Comedy Actor, I'm guessing that once again Alec Baldwin will take it and I'd be fine with that. I'd be fine with Matthew Morrison too, it's a great performance and probably my favorite in the show. I may feel that The Office is lifeless and stale now but I do feel like Carell is still giving it his all and is the only tolerable character to me at this point, which strikes me as somewhat ironic. Thomas Jane has been great in Hung, it's a very subtle performance but it's a great one. I'd really be fine with Morrison, Baldwin, or Jane taking it, all are quite good. David Duchovny's performance goes right along with my feelings for the show in general, which is that it tries way way too hard to sell every gag and saps away any emotional moment for witty banter. I'm not really sure what he's doing in this category even if Mulder may be one of my favorite tv characters.

    ReplyDelete